Sunday, July 1, 2012

I did it! I finished! And I kicked ARSE!


READY TO RACE

I did it!  And in around 50 minutes!  I ran the hardest I had ever run before.  I am not just saying it either.  Because I know I did.  I pushed myself the whole way, talked to myself, told myself I could do it.  I picked landmarks to keep running to before I stopped.
I am not going to lie, it hurt.  I ended up with a stitch about 1km into the race.  That last for 3km's. I also had numb toes in my left foot.  My new shoes do this to me for some reason. 
It was so amazing to be there among the thousands of people.  I think there were around 4000 entrants.  I came about half way! 
There were people on the side of the road cheering everyone on and clapping, it was so inspiring to see them.  At one point my Brother in Law was there to watch my Sister In Law with their 3 kids, it was nice to see them.  My niece Madi grabbed my hand at one point and ran along with me.  That really touched me.

DURING THE RACE
Photo thanks to my Brother In Law Al and Sister in Law Jacqui


I ran with my Sister In Law Jacqui, her friend Christine and Jacqui's trainer Will.  It was nice to be a part of Team Awesome.  I raised almost $700 for Make A Wish Australia.
The last 500 metres was probably the hardest.  Everything was aching.  But I was determined to get over that line.  I actually burst into tears coming over the line.  The relief it was over, the realisation of how far I had come, and also because I was alone.  I didn't have anyone there for me cheering me on.  It really broke my heart.  I don't know if my family got the enormity of what I was doing.

FINISHED!

I feel absolutely amazing that I did it, I actually feel it was all a dream.  I felt a little lost in the afternoon afterwards.  But boy was I reminded the next day that I did it!  hahaha I couldn't move a muscle without screaming, even my butt cheeks hurt!  Today I am feeling alot better, the tops of my legs are still a little sore but I can walk without screaming.

Guess what, I am actually considering doing the Bridge to Brisbane in September.  HOLY COW!  Who is this person I have become.  Of course it will just be for fun and to say I have done it.  I won't be trying to break any records or anything.

I also have organised a fundraiser "Sun, Surf & Wishes Walk" on July 21st at Burleigh.  I am very excited about this.  It is an easy 5km walk along the Burleigh Beachfront. 


Check out the event if you would like to take part!

2 comments:

  1. That made me cry, I am so so sorry we didnt make it to see you cross the line, but we are very very proud of you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, a fantastic achievement. It's awesome, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete